Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Personal Experience – Valuable Insight and Extra Time before the burial of a loved one



Last Monday, April 1, my father past away.  Though his health had been declining, he had taken a sudden turn, a week prior; actually the day I left Fla, after being with him for 3 weeks (I would not have come home, had he been in this condition).

My mother and father, were currently at their winter home.  And naturally, both of them, would need to come home to VA, for the burial.

My mother would be driving home, because she wanted her car home.  With having a very important DR visit on Wednesday, she would not begin her drive till after the appointment.  She broke the trip up, and was back to VA by 2pm on Thursday. 

We decided best, to wait for “family night” till Friday night.  And in hopes of folks not having to take off from work, we paid the extra ($300 at the cemetery; other cost at the funeral home) to have the funeral on Saturday.

Insight #1:  Most funeral homes, have connections with other funeral homes, out of town.  So the funeral home, in our home town, immediately took over upon my father’s death.  His remains were picked up at the hospital; he was embalmed (which must be done before he could be flown home); took him to the airport, and flew him back to VA.  He was in VA by Wednesday morning; had we been in a hurry, he could have been here by Tuesday night.

Insight #2: Remains can not be flown into any airport; only select airports.  My father was flown into Richmond, and we live in Lynchburg.  Our funeral home here, went to get him in Richmond.  The cost for the flight and ride to LYH was only $ 900.

Not having the funeral within a couple of days, like many are done, made the transition from life to death, much more easier !   This extra time, from Monday to Saturday, was valuable in personal adjustment.  It helped give “time” in settling over what had happened. 

Also, with taking this time, I did not have to go to the funeral home, to look at our options till Tuesday, and not Monday !  My body didn’t have to go through that sudden burial mode !

I truly suggest, keeping this suggestion in the back of every ones mind, for the future, of having to bury a loved one !  My father was my best buddy; and I never thought, I could handle this, as easy as I did !

 

No comments:

Post a Comment