Thursday, December 6, 2012

Being hurt by a loved one or friend as they help, be kind, or do for another



 
Being a coach, over the years, and even more over last couple weeks,  I’ve actually run into or hear situations,  where folks were so excited and having great intentions in helping  or doing  for another, yet, while doing so, they actually ended up hurting someone else.

 
 
Examples may seem silly, but they do bring about feelings, to folks that these situations were geared to:

1)      Not loaning something to you (car, condo, money, their favorite chair they sit in), but specifically loaning that same item to a new friend (giving the shirt off their back to a new guest or friend).

2)      Not purchasing from your business (or giving to the charity you work for), but making that purchase (donation) from a stranger or new friend  business; putting money in someone else's pocket book; or giving to charity when a friend or family member is need of money/food.

3)      Not attending your party, but that of a different friend, who actually planned a party the same night; playing friends against each other.

 
Hmmmmm.    Thinking that over two or three times, I am still unable to fathom, how hurting one person, to help or do for another, or befriend another, can make this situation a “positive” (?).  One good thing for one bad thing is not a wipe, in my mind !

 
Remember, I didn’t say, hurt yourself FBO another.  So if you’re thinking, well, I would give the shirt off my back or my right arm if it came to my child or my family, that is not what I was referring to.

And … I am also not talking about, a time when you are angry, and you do something spiteful to someone, like paying them back (little childish).

And … I’m not talking about tattling on someone who has hurt another or who is doing something illegal.

And … I’m not talking about accidently hurting someone !

And ... I'm not talking about a situation where one's job or boss  needed to come first.

And … I’m not talking about a life or death situation either !

I am literally talking of the idea of, knowingly hurting someone else, because you want to help or be kind to another.

The only thing I can gather, in someone who is doing this, is that they are so wrapped up in what they think is “a good” for or with this particular person, that they have either opted to put on blinders to the hurting of another or they believe “a good” out weights “a bad”(?).  Though this may be what is taking place, it is still actually unexcusable.  Hurting folks is hurting folks, no matter what excuse you give yourself.  Matter of fact, if it were a court issue, the judge would not even listen to such reasoning.

Does this person realize, that in hurting another, they may most likely lose this other friend ?  
Is really worth losing that friend; hurting someone ?   

 
If I were the one being hurt here, I would naturally feel that this person was specifically letting me know, that in reality, they really were not my friend, or they were letting me know, that they no longer wanted me as a friend or cherished our friendship.  That I was not important enough, in their book, to not change the situation in a way, that would not hurt either person.

 
Having such inner feelings, as mentioned, is normal, and does not make you negative to have this thought.  It’s what you do with the thought that matters. 




 

Do not beat yourself up over it; nor return any negative action towards this person.  Just walk away.  And consciously, don’t take it personal.  Look at it as, this person, just so badly wanted to do or be with this other person, and that this actually has nothing to do with you or who you are.

This could be a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a spouse, a neighbor, a client …

 
Remember, folks have their own right to make their own choices; just like you have the choice of not standing in the fire of letting this happen to you over and over by this person.  If they don’t want you in their life, though you may not understand, let it be what it is.  You can not make someone be your friend or be good to you (and please consider not wasting or using your time to change their mind anyway).  

 
This is one of those type situations, that is totally out of your control.  Just drop contact and move on.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment