Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Getting Organized. What’s one simple suggestion which most definitely helps BIG ?



Your life as equally busy as everyone else ? Busier you say ?  (Hmm !)

Then more than ever, if you’re saying, you don’t have time to get organized, then you need to get organized to stay ahead of the game ! To be efficient and produce more quickly, actually does require organization.

You ask, what do I mean by being organized ?

Do I mean your desk ? Your house ? Your car ?

Could be !

Could be your thoughts !
Could be the time of day you are choosing to think !
Could be a specific day of the week !
Could be your entire day !
Maybe certain hours of the day !
Even your minutes !
Could be your choice when to complete tasks !
Your priorities.

You say you don’t get a choice in your priorities ? When you get to do what needs to be done ? Then I say, your life is even stricter and needs more fine line organization.

It starts with a simple thing as a calendar !

You’ve heard others suggest making list of things to do ! This is a plus and actually a must do. And if you say you can do without it, yet, you’re unorganized and running around with your head chopped off. Even forgetting things or missing deadlines ! Then I suggest, you take a moment, and “trust” this idea.


And I’m not talking a little pocket calendar or wall calendar, if you have as much to do as you simply say !  I use a Microsoft Database (the one pictured is not mine; mines more detailed, so I don't have to write notes on a paper too). It can be Microsoft Works or Word, or whatever you might have in your computer.  I don't use a particular program other than a database; so it's not rigid.  And it allows the entries to be endless.  It's one "ongoing" calendar" (not monthly or yearly).

Entries ….
* I have a column, where I can check things off that I have completed for the day. I might put “T” for talked to that person; “V” left them voicemail; “E” send them email; or I put “Y” for yes complete !
* I ad new entries as the day goes on, whether it's to today, or tomorrow, or next week.
* Entering my current month (month column); then I have a column for the days of the week; another column for the main title of the event; another column so I can write times or location; and even another column so I can put detailed info.
* I don’t list every date of the month, till I have something to enter for that date of the month. Note, it’s easy to add new lines/space, when you need them.
* When 1st beginning, I did ad entries, of anything from my pocket/wall calendar, such as a meeting that’s a month away or someone’s birthday. Today, I don’t carry a pocket calendar; I only use this program, in which I view “all” day long.
* I then take tasks, that are a must, and I divide them over the days of the week, so they are not hitting me all on one day. Such as, clean bathroom, balance checkbook, handle mail, write in my blog, see who is talking on face book. And each week, I copy/paste that “regular” list for the day, and past it into the next week, so I not only don’t have to write it again, it helps me with making a habit of daily tasks. Each day, these tasks must be done 1st, unless they are designated for certain times of the day.
* As yearly tasks come up, like car insurance, or doctors appointment, I ad them.  And when I complete the task this year, I copy/past the task, and put it in next year.
* And when I do not get tasks done, they are then moved over to the next day. So I keep a running lists of tasks !
* And I move over task to the next day, where others have not gotten back to me. Sadly, I find that it’s my job “to remind people” when they are suppose to be getting back with me !


A calendar like this is fabulous. You can …
* Go back 2 months ago and see what you did
* Look to see if I already handled that task for a client
* Post an event that is 2 years away
* Feel great about your accomplishments from the day, when I see all the checks marks !



One more suggestion. Before you go to bed at night, look at tomorrows calendar, or move over task you did not get done today. Organize your tomorrow in priority or when things must be done by. It can make you feel like a new person when you wake up !



If you want help setting this up, the only programs I have are the 2 mentioned above, but would be glad to help you. Call and leave message on my Voip Machine, along with your name and number (434) 473-7470




No comments:

Post a Comment